Friendship Week is Amnesty International Ireland’s annual human rights education and fundraising event, developed specifically for primary schools.
How it works:
Fill in the form on the right and we will send you a FREE comprehensive human rights education resource pack linked to the curriculum. In order to raise vital funds for Amnesty, we also send you your specified number of friendship bracelets for the school to sell at €2 each.
Around the world, people are doing simple things to make newcomers feel welcome in their communities. This year’s theme for Friendship Week is Welcoming Communities which is a core part of Amnesty International’s I Welcome campaign. It is about encouraging people to unite in welcoming refugees into their communities.
- Explores the topic from a local to a global level.
- Links to topics and discourse around welcoming diversity, anti-bullying, homelessness and the current global refugee crisis.
- Created for teachers, by teachers.
- Suitable for all class levels.
- 4-pages of curriculum linked classroom activities
- Whole school activities and educational games.
- Age-appropriate human rights education.
- Teaches empathy and compassion – vital skills for global citizenship.
- Creativity is at the heart of our pack, allowing children to explore, express and respond to the themes through art, music, drama and more.
- Child-friendly Friendship Bracelets with slogans in both Irish and English.
“Nuair a shuí mé ar an mbinse cairdis, d’iarr a lán paistí orm sugradh leo.” – Aoibhe, Naíonan Mhóra, Gaelscoil Shliabh Rua, Bóthair Baile Uí Ógáin, Baile Átha Cliath
Easier ways to send us the money you raise in cash using your local post office.
To take part in Friendship Week 2019, simply register here. Remember to click the submit button after you’ve entered your details
Our teachers say:
“Friendship Week is an excellent way of promoting inclusivity, cultural awareness and an appreciation of diversity in any school and society in general.”
Mary Mellick, Gort National School, Co. Galway
“Friendship Week really gave our children the opportunity to learn about being brave, responsible citizens of the world!”
Casey Stirling, Springdale National School, Raheny, Dublin
“Well worth doing and supports our SPHE/ RSE programmes.”